Saturday, December 27, 2008

New Year's Resolutions...

I used to do them as a kid because my parents made us do it. I haven't done them since I went to college. Recently, my piano teacher asked us to establish piano playing goals for 2009. On top of that, work requires us to write 5 goals for the year. While I hate the paperwork, there is something to be said about having explicit goals, so I decided to extend it to my whole life on a 1-year trial basis. I don't know how many you are supposed to have:

1. Put God first.

Learning
1. Complete writing the 2 piano pieces I am working on.
2. Complete my current piano level on the 2 methods. Get at least halfway through the next level.
3. Learn a piece I really want to play (deciding between the danza Coqui and Raul DiBlasio's Corazon de Nino).
4. Read at a minimum 1 book per month + 3 classics in the New Year.

Fun:
1. Go skydiving.
2. Go to an Atlanta Symphonic Orchestra concert.
3. Help with set-building consistently at Dramatech for at least 1 show.
4. Visit a few Jazz venues.
5. Take advantage of the city and all the festivals and arts that are available.
6. Support local independent artists.
7. Learn to shoot a gun.

Travel:
1. NYC--I haven't been in almost 2 years, and that is unacceptable.
2. Miami--I may decide to scratch this one off after visiting family nearby on Jan 4th.
3. Dallas--I have seen Elba for about 6 hours in the last 4 years or so, need to improve that stat.
4. See a new state with friends.

Focus:
1. Develop a plan to leave the grasp of The Man within the next 10 years.
2. Go on an unorganized retreat away from the city before April, religious or not.
3. Continue an exercise regime and improve on the diet for the next year.

What are your resolutions?

No comments: